Sunday, September 4, 2011

Long Hair, Don't Care

indiaSheana, indiaSheana Blog, India Simpson, Simpson, India, India Simpson Blog, Long Hair Don't Care, India Simpson Blog on Long Hair, indiaSheana Blog on Hair, India Sheana, Sheana, Sheana Simpson
Where does the saying "long hair, don't care" come from and what does it mean? I'm simply trying to make sense of this and understand why ample people say it. "Why don't you care that you have long hair?"

I'm thrilled to find out that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the saying. After doing the research and seeing what others are saying about "long hair, don't care", I've quickly come to the conclusion that people say it just because. Maybe they like the fact that it rhymes. Some people even took the liberty of making up their own definitions, in which the definitions still didn't make any sense. I figured that I would come up with my own theory and try to make sense of this popular saying.

Here's what I came up with. People that wear fake hair and decides to get that hair all the way down their backs know that the general public knows it's not real. Although they're informed that the public is on to their fake hair, they don't care and will continue to wear their hair as long as they want it. I think people like this have more of a "rebel" type personality. I could imagine someone saying "yeah I have long, fake hair and I don't care who knows it". I'm still battling the reason why a lot of men say "long hair, don't care".

Let's take a different approach to this. Nowadays men are more open minded when it comes to hairdos. I've recently been seeing a lot of men wearing long dreads. Here's what I came up with. In today's society, everyone knows that you're partially judged on your appearance, especially when applying for a job. Short, clean haircuts are safe, but a lot of men like taking the risk and having their own since of style. With that being said, they're not concern with getting judge based on merely a hairdo. These risk takers "don't care" about being judge based on their hair. They would much rather risk it so they won't have to compromise their individual style. "Long Hair, Don't Care." I DON'T CARE if you like my hair, I DON'T CARE if I don't get a job based on my hairdo or appearance, I DON'T CARE if everyone clearly knows that I have fake hair, I just DON'T CARE.

To summarize everything, people that use this popular saying don't care about other people's perception of their long hair. Many people I've interviewed says that "long hair, don't care" is a positive saying, but I don't see how. Maybe I should start saying "short hair, really care" or "shoulder length hair, kind of care".

No comments:

Post a Comment